A Step-by-Step Guide to Progress your career and record your Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
To help with your career progression and achieving your goals we have produced a 37-page interactive electronic toolkit on CPD giving you a structured and step-by-step approach to your professional development.
This toolkit will help you:
- Assess and understand your current situation
- Document, track, and review your skills and achievements so it’s easier to keep your CV updated
- Set up and accomplish short-term objectives and achieve your longer-term career goals
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is a recognised, systematic way of tracking your professional development on an ongoing basis. It also helps you to document and reflect on any learning or training that you either undertake formally or acquire informally. You need to record the steps in your development as a professional, including training events and informal learning. Development is not necessarily about the ‘core’ content of your profession, as doing your job will require other skills and abilities such as communication or information management. These are often the skills you acquire in the course of your work, which help you to do your job and build your overall capability. Completing your CPD Toolkit regularly and reviewing your progress will help you to set a direction and keep your development going the way you want it to. You can also use it as a record which will:
- remind you of what you have learned and how far you have come
- demonstrate your enthusiasm for developing yourself to your employer or prospective employers
- provide examples and scenarios for appraisals and interviews
This is a powerful tool that will help you plan, document and review your learning progress and record your CPD activities. The toolkit consists of 4 sections with 7 corresponding forms. They are:
- Where am I now?
- Goals, objectives and action plans
- Learning logs