If you are enjoying doing independent research during your undergraduate career, you might be considering staying on at university to do a master’s and then a PhD. But there are lots of decisions to make. For example,
are you personally and financially prepared to commit to postgraduate
This ebook will help you to decide whether doing a master’s and
then a PhD followed by an academic career is for you. It is an incredibly
fulfilling career path, but also a highly competitive one that requires years
of dedication. In this ebook, you will learn about the routes you must
take to become a lecturer or a researcher, as well as alternative career
opportunities outside academia for those trained to postgraduate level.
This ebook will cover:
- Postgraduate study: how is it different from your degree?
- 5 steps to an academic career
- Funding a PhD
- How to gain industry experience while studying for a higher degree
- What you need to know about your PhD before you start
- What jobs.ac.uk can do for you
Also included are a couple of simple 5-minute activities to help you consider your options and an action plan template to help you plan your academic career.